Adult literacy and numeracy means different things to different people. Many people think that Adult Literacy is just for those who have difficulty reading or writing at all. In reality a wide range of people get support at different times with different challenges.
Some of the areas that we have helped with include:
• Help with written job selection tests (police/ fire service exams; apprenticeships etc)
• Help with everyday tasks (banking/ shopping lists/ budgeting)
• Helping mums, dads and carers to support their child with homework
• Help with approaches to writing (sentence structure/ formatting paragraphs etc)
• Help with reading or writing for pleasure
Everyone who comes along for support has their own reasons for doing so and sets their own targets. For some a little help goes a long way and they get what they need in a few weeks, for others we offer longer term support to get them where they want to be.
For more information about support in your area, check out Your Area pages; call our base at the Hamilton Town House: